Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Taking Drawing to the Next Level

I have always enjoyed drawing, and, once the technology became available, I've enjoyed using image manipulation programs to spruce up my drawings and create pieces of art from scratch. Over the years, I've gotten more comfortable with these programs and more knowledgeable about their capabilities. However, I've also learned to appreciate the benefits that come with drawing by hand.

Photoshop and its ilk provide many benefits over traditional drawing. When drawing by hand, mistakes are inevitable, and I often find myself having to work around problematic pen strokes; if I'm using Photoshop, mistakes can be rectified with the touch of a button. The ability to correct mistakes also allows for more experimentation, particularly when choosing a color scheme. Finally, digital art allows a greater amount of precision, particularly since one can divide a single artwork into multiple 'layers' and work on each portion individually.

Nonetheless, drawing by hand creates a level of spontaneity that is hard to match when one is manipulating a cursor with a mouse. Also, while digital editing is great for detail work, it is not always ideal for composing a complete picture or ensuring that all of the elements in an image work together.

So, it was quite exciting for me to get a digital tablet as a birthday present. Although drawing with a tablet is not entirely the same as using a pen, it allows me to draw with a high level of fluidity, and fosters a more personal touch in the artwork. Plus, I can still retain the precision and control that I enjoy while working digitally; in many senses, it provides the best of both worlds.

Also, having a new toy to work with is a great motivator, so, apart from its intrinsic benefits, it makes me want to draw more.

It is not a surprise that I've been doing all I can to play with the tablet in my spare time. While a lot of my drawings are simple exercises, it has been fun to see what the tablet's capabilities are, and to discover the art that I can produce while using it.


No comments:

Post a Comment