Thursday, September 17, 2015

Jenny's Ice Creams


In 2012, I got an ice cream maker for Christmas, and I have enjoyed using it to make various ice cream recipes to enjoy and share.

I've found that, once one has made a few different recipes, one gets comfortable with the general procedure, and trying a different recipe is more about incorporating new ingredients and making sure the proportions are correct. I will be listing the ingredients for a few recipes I've tried, along with links to the specific recipes; however, instead of writing out the individual recipes for each flavor, I'll first give a description of the general process, and, when necessary, will write notes specific to a particular recipe.

How I Make Ice Cream

First, I find a saucepan, and pour the milk and cream, with some of the sugar, and possibly some other ingredients that need to be infused into the mixture (e.g. mint leaves), into the saucepan. I heat the mixture at medium-low heat until tiny bubbles form along the edges and it starts to steam up. Meanwhile, I place the other ingredients, including most of the sugar, into a bowl with egg yolks, and mix them together thoroughly; it is important to make sure the yolks and sugar are mixed so that the yolks don't scramble when the hot fluid is added.

I pour the contents of the saucepan into the bowl and make sure they are mixed. Because my ice cream maker uses a pre-frozen bowl to churn the ice cream, and the frozen bowls only stay cool for a limited period of time, I need to place the mixture in the freezer for about 30 minutes before I begin churning the ice cream. After that, I pour the mixture into the ice cream maker and allow it to churn. If I have a solid ingredient, like chocolate chips, that I want to add to the ice cream, I add it at this point.

I allow the ice cream to churn for at least 30-40 minutes. While it isn't going to become completely solid in the ice cream maker, the ice cream should have a relatively thick consistency. Finally, I place the ice cream into a container and keep it in the freezer overnight. 

Ice Cream Flavors

  • 1 cup (250 ml) whole milk
  • 3/4 cup (150 g) sugar
  • 2 cups (500 ml) heavy cream
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise
  • 6 large egg yolks
  • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Note: Instead of using a vanilla bean, I tend to use a vanilla bean paste, which I believe is available at Sur La Table and Whole Foods.

  • 6 large egg yolks
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 2 cups fresh mint leaves, loosely packed
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 3 drops green food coloring
  • 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
  • 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped

Note: I don't always use the green food coloring, or I will sometimes add some Creme de Menthe instead of the food coloring.

  • 1 1/4 cups sugar
  • 2 3/4 cups heavy cream
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 4 large eggs
  • 3 tablespoons instant espresso powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Note: The original recipe also includes caramel swirls, but I haven't attempted to make the caramel. Instead, I included chocolate chips.

  • 1 12-ounce bag frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed
  • 2 tablespoons plus 1 cup sugar
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons imported crème de cassis (black-currant liqueur)
  • 6 large egg yolks
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 2 cups heavy whipping cream
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract

  • 2 cups (480 grams) milk
  • 2 cups (480 grams) heavy cream
  • 1 cinnamon stick, 2 inches long
  • 8 egg yolks
  • 3/4 cup (255 grams) honey
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt 

  •  2 cups heavy cream
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 3/4 cup (150 grams) sugar
  • 6 tablespoons (30 grams) loose Earl Grey tea
  • 1/2 teaspoon (2 grams) kosher salt
  • 6 large egg yolks

No comments:

Post a Comment