Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Hello Again

I haven't been able to update lately; I've just been too busy.

My externship finishes this Friday, as I will be starting school on Monday. The externship has remained interesting. The Department of Justice arranged for all of the student interns to meet with California Attorney General Bill Lockyer and state Appellate Justice Mallano; both answered questions and gave general overviews of their work. I've also been keeping myself busy with research and writing assignments, and have been present at two administrative hearings.

While I did not participate in the first case, I had done some preparatory work for it. In the case, the Board of Behavioral Sciences was taking action against a psychotherapist who had sex with a patient. The therapist had admitted to the conduct at the heart of the accusation, and was only attempting to convince the judge that mitigating factors existed. The therapist’s position was that he was not a "predator," and that the incident was "aberrational" because of his vulnerable emotional state, the demanding nature of his borderline patient, and the existence of unrecognized countertransference (she subconsciously reminded him of his first girlfriend). The therapist spoke on his own behalf, and he also had experts and character witnesses to support him. The Board did not bring an expert, and the patient/victim did not attend the hearing.

In the second hearing, which took place this afternoon, a contractor had not paid his surety funds that the surety company had paid a homeowner pursuant to a judgment against him. I was able to present the whole case before the administrative law judge, including the admission of evidence and the presentation of a closing statement. The Contractor's State License Board brought forth one witness from the surety company, while the contractor (representing himself) testified on his own behalf and also brought the homeowner as a witness.

In other news, I have been keeping myself busy with other things as well. I went to a Kerry party in Pasadena on the day that Kerry accepted the nomination. I haven't gone to any other political events, so I'm glad that I was able to get a bit more involved.

I got in an accident a few weeks ago; my car skidded when I went over wet road near an offramp, and I ended up hitting a guardrail. Fortunately, I was unhurt, and no other cars were involved. I took my car in and got the tires replaced, but I didn't want to worry about the body work until my family got back. I am still using a rental car.

I don't think I mentioned it earlier, but I have been going to the gym with my dad and sister during the summer. My dad and sister have memberships at a gym in the area, and it made sense for me to join them while I was nearby. It's hard to say how much it has helped me, but I think there has been some benefit.

I moved out of the Malibu apartment last Saturday, and am now at home in Northridge with my family. My mom and sister got back from London that Friday, while my dad is returning home today.

No comments:

Post a Comment