Tuesday, September 7, 2010

More than Kindle, and Less than Kind

It's a KindleI've been curious about e-readers for a while. Since I have a trip coming up, and didn't want to pack a lot of travel books, a reader became an increasingly attractive prospect. So, once I heard about the new Kindle, I figured that "it was time" and snapped one up.
I've spent the last week getting a handle on the device, and, while it won't completely replace traditional books, it has many advantages. I'm glad I have a Kindle to carry around, and I expect to read many more books on it.
Pros:
  • It's easier to carry around, and easier to read on a whim. This is especially true with respect to larger books. I can make a point of carrying the Kindle around with me where I go, and can decide to start a new book at any time. If I wanted to start reading a given printed book, I'd have to be more deliberate about it.
  • E-books are searchable, which is a valuable feature with certain kinds of books, like reference books.
  • It is easy to get cheap, or even free, versions of out-of-copyright classics.
  • Books in general are cheaper.
  • The Kindle encourages reading; when I have a small library at my fingertips, I'm more likely to read when I have a free minute, and less likely to do something less edifying with my time.
  • There are some books I don't want to keep around forever, and I don't have to feel guilty about deleting them. (and I can get them back for free if I want to)
  • There are costs to owning a physical object (like a DVD, CD, or book), and it's nice to "own" a book, and have access to it at any time, without having to carve out space for it, organize it, or move it around.
  • I like being able to underline texts or make notes without "defacing" the book.
  • I like the e-ink technology used by Kindle. It more or less mimics a printed page, and it's nicer to read than a backlit screen (especially since I spend way too much time in front of backlit screens).
Cons:
  • Traditional books engage the spatial part of my mind in a way that an e-book simply couldn't. After reading a printed book, I can flip through, and remember the place where a favorite passage was, or where a certain plot development occurred. I can, of course, perform a search on an e-book and find what I need, but I can't interact with the book as an object. 
  • It is easy to share paper books. I'm not sure that it's possible to share your e-books without lending your reader.
Ultimately, I think I'll rely more and more on the Kindle for my everyday reading, but I would still like to get "traditional" paper copies of the books I deem special. If nothing else, I'm glad that the Kindle is getting me more engaged in books and reading, and I hope that I can maintain my level of interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment