Saturday, June 4, 2011

Flight from Amsterdam to Copenhagen

So, after a somewhat difficult airport security experience, I made it onto my flight.

On Thursday, I started by going over to the Amsterdam History Museum, which was not yet open. I then headed down to the nearby Begijnhoff, which contained the sole remaining wooden house in the city (the rest had burned down in a fire), and the "English Church," where the Pilgrims worshiped before heading off to America.

Afterwards, I headed to the Leidseplein looking to get on a semi-secret boat tour (Guild of St. Nicholas) that had been recommended by one of the hosts at my Bed & Breakfast. One had to arrive in-person in otder to make reservations, and the tour reservations were operated through the Boom Chicago comedy club, which had not opened yet.

So, I went down to the Van Gogh museum to finish my visit (fortunately, I was able to complete the audiotour without repurchasing it). The museum was noticeably more crowded than it had been on Wednesday, when I arrived shortly before closing time, so I'm glad I was able to make it out on Wednesday, In addition to the Van Goghs, which I had mostly been able to see on the previous day, I was able to see works by Van Gogh's contemporaries (which were in the permanent collection) and a temporary exhibition of posters and other artworks about Montmartre).

I went back to the Leidseplein and inquired about the boat tours, but they were booked up. So I left, and returned to the Amsterdam History Museum, which presented (naturally) a history of the city from its early days as a small settlement through its Golden age and up through the present day.

Afterwards, I went to the Jordaan neighborhood and bought a ticket for a canal tour. Fortunately, I was able to snag a seat in the back of the boat, which allowed me to be in the open air and have a good view. The tour provided a nice and relaxing way to see the whole city again.

For my last day in the Netherlands (6/3), I took a day trip to Haarlem, a smaller city to the west of Amsterdam. I viewed the Grote Kerk ("Great Church"), which was once the Catholic Church of St. Bavo but was later repurposed into a Protestant church, and which is dominated by a majestic organ (upon which a young Mozart once played).

Subsequently, I went to the Frans Hals Museum, a former old men's home (and later orphanage) which houses the largest collection of paintings by Haarlem painter Hals, along with works by other local artists from the late medieval period and the Dutch Golden Age. I particularly liked seeing the large paintings of regiments by Hals (which for the centerpiece of the collection), the sixteenth century Renaissance-inspired works (including a semi-ridiculous painting of Hercules which supposedly had its patron, a local lawyer, serve as the model), and the two paintings by Judith Leyster (a still life and a portrait).

I had a late meal of herring and poffertjes in the central square, took a walk through town, and headed back to Amsterdam.

Finally, I decided to spend the early evening hours at Vondelpark, the park at the south end of town (keep in mind that, right now, it doesn't really get dark until 10:30 at night). I arrived at the park after a walk across the city, including a stop by the flower market. Once I got to Vondelpark, I had a nice stroll, saw lots of ducks (and ducklings!), geese (and goslings!) and cranes, took lots of photos, and just took in the atmosphere.

I walked around the Jordaan area until I found a nice restaurant and had a late dinner. I walked back to the B & B and got ready for my flight the next morning.

And we are just about to land! I hope that I have a lot of adventures in Copenhagen.


No comments:

Post a Comment