Wednesday, June 29, 2011

State of the iPhone: I've Got a Little List

So, I've continued to enjoy my iPhone so far; it's been fun fiddling with the various apps floating around. Surprisingly, it seems like my most-loved ones have been organizational and practical, rather than entertaining.
 
One of my most frequently used apps is something called List Master, which is a flexible tool for organizing and maintaining various lists and ledgers. It is easy to create sub-lists, and to change the parameters of each list depending on the subject matter.

 
When I first downloaded this app, I started by making lists of work tasks (organized by supervising attorney), and by recording my "calories burned" (as recorded by the elliptical machine) over the course of a week. I had been keeping track of these tasks and my progress in my head, but it really is easier to have this information easily-accessible on my iPhone; that way, I can devote the mental space to more interesting things than my weekly calorie count. Plus, it is a lot more stressful to try and keep my upcoming tasks in my head than it is to have them on an easily-modifiable list.
 
I recently added a few lists to deal with money management. Generally, I've been balancing my checkbooks the old-fashioned way, which can sometimes be a hassle when I have a lot of checks to keep track of. My credit card management has been even less organized; I've tried to keep a mental tally of major expenses and my general level of profligacy for each month, but, although my estimates are generally pretty on-the-money (so to speak), I don't have a full account of my spending until I get the bill. Naturally, this leads to some unnecessary anxiety whenever the bill comes.
Since I wanted to be a little more aware of my spending (especially after my vacation), I decided to put together some running lists for my credit card bills. I am hoping that will allow me to be a little more disciplined and aware of what I'm spending money on. It's easy to forget that one is spending money when using a credit card (at least with low cost items or online purchases), rather than using cash or writing out a check. Hopefully, having to undertake the extra step of writing down a purchase will force me to think a little more about what I'm spending money on, even if I allow myself to splurge on a luxury item sometimes.

Finally, I just got a new app, Dunnit, which is a more straightforward "to do" list. It allows me to keep track of recurring chores and other outstanding errands that might slip my mind if I was left to my own devices. I have only just gotten this app, but I hope it can help me stay on top of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment