Saturday, June 21, 1997

1997 Trip: Venice and Art

Today we woke up on time! ( :) ) We had breakfast at the hotel and then went to mom & dad's room for a game of Scrabble. I was in 1st (due to "zot"), Mom was in 2nd, Chrissie in 3rd, and Dad (he's not very good at this) in 4th. Chrissie got a slew of bad letters & so she had trouble.

We then went to the art museum at St. Mark's Square (I forget the name) & saw some works. Chrissie & Mom particularly liked the shoes. They were very TALL platforms like this. -> [drawing omitted] A lot of the ancient and Renaissance stuff was nice; I especially liked the statue of Icarus and Daedalus (is that his name?) and the small bronzes, but I wasn't too fond of the innumerable Gothic Madonnas and the modern art (does it really have a point, or is it just some cynical artists pretending to do something meaningful?).

Then we went back to the hotel, and then to the Doge's palace. Though it was interesting, the ceilings were a bit too ornate for my taste (less is more, isn't it?). At the gift shop, I bought a book on glass animals, one of which was by Picasso.

We went to the hotel again, finished shopping, and went to San Stefano's for dinner. I then took a shower & got ready for bed.

Well, bye!!

No comments:

Post a Comment