Monday, April 18, 2005

Waxing Nostalgic

Google's map feature has made me a bit nostalgic about the places I used to frequent. This has motivated me to create a mini-tour of the Bryn Mawr area using the satellite images.

Be warned: the images are quite large.



This is an overview of the area. Bryn Mawr, my alma mater, is in the northwest corner, and Haverford College is in the southeast corner. The brown stripe in the middle is the R5 rail line.


This is a larger view of Bryn Mawr.
1. Schwartz Gymnasium - Bryn Mawr has a physical education requirement, so I went here quite a few times. I unwisely took a nighttime scuba diving course in the first semester; I couldn't get certified because I got an ear infection after walking to my dorm while I was cold and wet.
2. Park Science Center - Park was one of the more modern buildings on campus. I took quite a few math courses here. One of the classrooms was also the site of the Shakespeare Performance Group's production of As You Like It.
3. Radnor - This was the "smoking dorm," as students were allowed to smoke inside. West Coast students were allowed to store some of their things in the Radnor attic, so I was relatively familiar with the building. In addition, I can remember holding rehearsals for a scene I was co-directing ("Dark Lady of the Sonnets") in the Radnor common room.
4. Campus Center - The campus center had the mailroom, a cafe, and some common spaces. The Bryn Mawr/Haverford Blue Bus sometimes picked up students from behind the building.
5. English House - I took a couple of classes (Shakespeare, Renaissance Comedy of Revenge) in this building.
6. Senior Row - Naturally, you were not supposed to walk all the way down Senior Row until you were a Senior. This is where the May Day hoops races take place.
7. Merion - This is another dorm.
8. Rhoads - Rhoads had a dining hall, but I never ate there. I remember this dorm primarily for its annual Halloween party.
9. Canaday Library - This is the school's main library. Some of the books were pretty old; I can remember using a book owned by the early feminist Carrie Chapman Catt for one of my research papers. There was also a DVD library on the ground level.
10. Taylor Hall - This building had several administrative offices. I also had several classes here. Taylor is involved in many school traditions. The senior steps are here, and step sing always takes place around the building. Finally, Seniors traditionally ring the bell in Taylor upon finishing their exams.
11. Denbigh - I lived in Denbigh (room 111) during my final year.
12. Goodhart Hall - This building housed the main theater. I remember coming to some productions here, often because I needed to take pictures for the Akoue yearbook. I was on this stage during the production of Grease.
13. Carpenter Library - This library was mostly underground; a few windows peeked above the grass, but that was about it. The library was dedicated to art history and was considerably more modern-looking than Canaday. I can remember using it as a study spot many times.
14. Thomas Hall - Thomas is probably the "center" of Bryn Mawr. This is where Freshmen pick up their lanterns, where room draws are held, and where Hell Week performances take place. The main hall has a statue of Athena in the corner; students place random trinkets by the statue for good luck. The cloisters (the grassy area in the center) were always very peaceful, and I can remember meeting for some group discussions there. I also had many of my classes in this building. Because it's an early example of the Collegiate Gothic style, Thomas Hall is a National Historic Landmark.
15. Gulid Hall - Guild Hall is the school's computer center. Most of it is underground, so it's larger than it looks. The building also has some classrooms, and I took Spanish here.
16. Rockefeller - I lived in "Rock" during my first and third years.
17. Pembroke East - This is another dorm. "Pem East" and "Pem West" are separated by the Pembroke Arch. The space above the arch was once a dining hall, but it's now a dance studio. Some rehearsals for Grease took place up there. Finally, the Blue Bus usually stopped across the street from the Pembroke Arch.
18. Pembroke West - This is self-explanatory.
19. Dalton - I had some Sociology classes here. Also, while the main Psychology class was held in Thomas, the labs were in Dalton. The lab that I remember most was a conditioning experiment which employed pigeons. Unfortunately, our pigeon was too scared to peck at food regardless of rewards, so we didn't really retrieve any useful data. Dalton also housed a language lab.
20. The Shipley School - This school wasn't affiliated with Bryn Mawr, but I constantly walked past it on my way to the railroad station or to town.
21. Haffner - This was the "foreign language" dorm. It was also one of the dorms which had a dining hall, and I tended to prefer Haffner's dining hall to Erdman's. I can remember looking forward to Sundays because they served a "heartier" meal (London broil, turkey, or rotisserie chicken) and provided ice cream.
22. Erdman - I lived in Erdman during my second year. I didn't really care for the building that much, but I had received a low number for room draw in my first year, and Erdman was the only real option. It had a dining hall, which was convenient, but it wasn't a very "welcoming" space. The renowned architect Louis Kahn designed the building, and tourists would occasionally stop by to take a look.
23. Health Center - The Health Center was also known among students as the "Death Center." I remember going there quite a few times. I remember stopping by after getting very sick during my first semester. I got the aforementioned ear infection, plus I got strep throat. The doctors were certain that I had mono, and tested me twice, but the results came back negative both times.


I have other areas around the school that I'd like to point out, but I think that this is enough for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment