Friday, April 8, 2011

No Longer a Luddite

I've been wanting to upgrade my cellphone for a long time now; it's gotten to the point where smartphones are so ubiquitous that an old-school phone poses disadvantages. I was hoping to upgrade sometime after my trip in May, but wanted to hold on to the old phone for a little while longer. And then, I spilled tea on my old phone, completely disabling it...
I have an iPhoneI spent 20-odd days without a phone, which created some minor complications, given that people tend to rely so much on cellphones. Fortunately, my Kindle has (free) 3G networking and a primitive browser, so I still had a way of staying in touch while on the go. If nothing else, my phoneless state forced me to become a little more punctual, which is never a bad thing.
I finally joined the iPhone club on Wednesday, and have been enjoying the new gadget. While I've owned an iPod Touch for years, and the iPhone is pretty similar, the iPod is old enough that many of the newer apps are no longer compatible. Plus, it lacked certain capabilities, such as the ability to take snapshots or play podcasts.
In any event, it's nice to have the full use of the device when I'm not tethered to a wireless connection; since I'll always have a map and easy access to email and Facebook; it'll allow me to make more spontaneous plans or last-minute changes.
I do look forward to playing around with the phone's functions a little more. I've gone on something of an app shopping spree, and have found some fun and useful programs. I'm also starting to get into podcasts for the first time, and am enjoying the wealth of free information and entertainment out there.
And it'll be nice to talk to people on the phone, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment