Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Preparing to Fly

apps 1I have been planning my May-June trip for so long, that it is hard to believe that it is coming up quickly. In fact, it is little more than one month before I make the flight to Brussels. However, I have been doing my best to make preparations and ensure the trip goes smoothly.

I've had flights and hotels lined up for months, and I just recently got train tickets. I also bought tickets to the Van Gogh museum and Anne Frank house in order to avoid the lines there. I've got travel guides loaded into my Kindle, and some travel videos on my iPhone.

apps 2I've also loaded my phone up with some apps to help me get around. I have some transit guides, and some translators as well. Although I am guessing that I could get by using my English, pantomime, and awkward grin skills, it is reassuring to have the translator app handy just in case. The apps are, of course, not perfect, but between the general translator and the two phrase guides, I should be able to navigate any problems that arise.

app 3There is really not much left to do, beyond creating lists of priorities, reviewing maps, and thinking of possible day trips and other excursions. I want to make sure to have a fairly good idea of what I want to do, so I don't end up wasting my time or backtracking. Nonetheless, I don't want to lock myself into a tight schedule; I'd worry that any disruptions to a meticulously worked-out schedule would leave me feeling very disappointed and frustrated.

app 4In any case, I am looking forward to this trip! It will be wonderful to have a change of scenery, and to take myself away from my daily routines and responsibilities. I am excited to explore, and to learn about what Belgium, the Netherlands, and Denmark have to offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment