Friday, August 19, 2011

Specs and Other Stuff

One of the fun things about poring through old journal entries is finding a record of exactly when certain minor events occurred. For example, I learned that I last got eyeglasses in September 2009. Although I mostly use them as 'backup' in case I can't wear contacts, I have been needing new glasses for some time now. So it's nice to have a newer pair with a stronger prescription.

I worry that my vision may have deteriorated over the past couple of weeks, though. I am hoping it's a temporary thing, brought on by increased screen-staring hours at work. Nonetheless, it is still something I should keep an eye on (no pun intended).

In the past month, I cashed in my accumulated credit card rewards points.which gave me the opportunity to do something nice for myself without sabotaging my budget. The biggest ticket item that I purchased was a fancy messenger bag to use when I am at work or carting my laptop around.

When I started work at my law firm, I bought an old-school style briefcase, and have used it my papers and other items. However, the briefcase is cumbersome (on several occasions, people have been compelled to joke about how the briefcase is larger than I am), and it just isn't well-suited for carrying stuff around on a day-to-day basis. It has a pocket of space at the top which isn't very usable, and doesn't have enough space designed for carrying random small items (for example a computer mouse, a checkbook, or a small book). I figured a nice messenger bag would be work-appropriate, but would also be easier to take around if I am carrying work with me during the weekend.

The bag seems to be pretty well-designed, with compartments for different items. It even has a removable sleeve for a laptop (my laptop is large, and therefore a little too big for the sleeve, but still fits in the bag itself). Even though I will probably use the briefcase from time to time, it'll be nice to have a more convenient alternative, and I hope it'll encourage me to work outside more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment