Sunday, August 7, 2011

Nostalgia and a Baby Party

I have finally finished the process of getting my old posts moved from LiveJournal to Blogger. I did not include a few posts (either because the material was "too sensitive," too dull, or reliant on broken links/photos), and cleaned up some minor mistakes, but it is 95% the same. I am hoping to get a couple of old written journal entries up there as well. In going through the many old entries, I've also come to appreciate the archive system that Blogger has; it's a lot easier to look through the less recent entries with their system, so it's nice to reproduce the entries in a more accessible format.

Most of the journal entries I've found date from 2000 or later, but I did find a charming letter that I wrote to myself in 8th grade. Among the blog entries, I've also come across some interesting things, like the record of my 2003 London Program adventures (beginning here), a bunch of old "interviews," and stuff from one of Chrissie's student films.

It is also strange to go through the old entries at a time when I have more distance and perspective; there are times that I can perceive a subtext that I wasn't aware of at the time that I was writing. It is always interesting to see an entry about a particular event and realize what came of the event, even if it's not clear from the text (for example, there are certain entries that record the day I met someone who ended up being a long-term friend).There are certain things that are unfailingly amusing, like mentions of technology or programs which are now outmoded. And I can definitely see certain changes in my personality and outlook; I think I am more comfortable with myself, and I'm certainly more responsible than I once was.

I am hoping to be better about keeping a record of my life, though I plan on writing fewer entries that are more substantive. Plus, I think my focus is a little different than it was 10 years ago, and that naturally affects what I write about.

Finally, I had a fun Saturday. That evening was the 'Baby Party' for my co-worker Caroline and her twins. I have known Caroline since childhood; she has worked with my dad for large portions of her career and is close to our family. It was a huge gathering, with lots of her relatives coming in from out of town, and a gigantic 'family style' meal at a fancy Chinese restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment