Tuesday, August 6, 2002

To Comic Con and Beyond

This weekend, I went to the Comic Con in San Diego; I'm not really a comics fan, but the convention also covers animation, and I got to hang out with my friends Marina and Fred, so that didn't really matter.

I took the train down to San Diego on Thursday night, arriving in town at 10:30 or so. I was picked up by Marina, and we met up with Fred after he flew in. We had dinner at the local Denny's (the only place open at that hour) and proceeded to find Fred a hotel room for the trip. The first place we tried was full, but we were able to get him a room at the next place we tried. Once that was settled, Marina and I went to a 24-hour supermarket to get food before going back to her place. Unfortunately, by the time that we got to bed, it was already 4 o'clock... and we would be meeting Fred at 8.

My lack of sleep was very evident the next morning, and I was a complete zombie until we stopped at the Starbucks in downtown San Diego. Once I was somewhat more awake, we began to make our way to the convention center, where we got our badges. Unfortunately, Marina got seperated from me and Fred almost immediately, and it took at least an hour for us to find each other again. We spent the time going to random panels and screenings and hanging out in the showroom downstairs, where they sold merchandise related to comics, animation, and the like. I was able to get a couple of pins as well as an Anna and the King glossy for Chrissie. Later, Marina had to leave to work on a project, so we had to split up (on purpose this time :) ), but we were able to get together later. Though we thought of seeing Signs, we were all tired and ended up watching TV instead.

The next day, I felt a bit more chipper as the result of more sleep. We picked up Daryl, a friend of Marina's, before going to the hotel and picking up Fred. Fred/Me and Marina/Daryl ended up splitting up, since we wanted to see different things. The most memorable panel was a Futurama one; they showed an unaired episode (about the group becoming superheroes) and answered a bunch of questions, which was fun. The two of us walked around San Diego for a bit before Fred had to take a taxi to the airport. After I said goodbye, I went back to the con for a while before meeting up with Marina and Daryl again. We then had dinner, dropped Daryl off, and went back to Marina's house.

The next day, Marina and I met with four of her friends and the two children of one of the friends; once we met, we made our way to the con. It was a bit more crowded than previous days, since retailers who didn't want to ship had marked down their merchandise and many people came in looking for a deal. It was still fun, though. I was able to go to a Muppet panel in which a bunch of volunteers tried their hand at puppeteering, which was pretty amusing. After we had dinner, I was dropped off at the train station and made my way home again.

Yesterday, I went out to Santa Monica, which went pretty well despite my lack of experience with freeway driving. I didn't end up doing much, but it was a fun excursion nonetheless.

Today, my mom and I had our annual eye appointment. It's not the most fun thing, but it needed to get done. In any case, it gave me the chance to do some reading.

Finally, I have a bit of good news. I received an email from Pepperdine and will be given student housing this year! I had consigned myself to living at home and taking the long commute every day, so it is a huge relief to be able to live on campus. I am so glad it worked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment