Sunday, July 27, 2003

Extra Time

After my harrowing day at the airport, I went back to London and got accommodations.

Tuesday was pretty relaxed, since I was relatively content with what I had already seen in London. I started out by going to the Sherlock Holmes museum, which didn't have that much to look at but was fun nonetheless. Later, I walked through Regent's Park and to the London Zoo; I walked through the zoo for a while. I then headed closer to the center of London, and looked through the Courtauld Institute, home to a small but interesting collection (including Manet's Bar at the Folies-Bergere). I finally headed over to the Picadilly area for dinner and a showing of the Reduced Shakespeare Company's Complete History of America, which I had gotten cheap and good student rush tickets for earlier that day.

I took an early morning train on Wednesday to Conwy, a town situated in the north of Wales. Once I checked into my room, I walked along the city wall to the town harbor. I briefly stepped into the 'Smallest House in Britain' (which is around ten feet tall and has two rooms and two stories). I then got something to eat on the town's main street before touring Plas Mawr, a grand Tudor-era townhouse. After my visit, I went through the churchyard and to Conwy's castle, which was built by Edward I and dominates the town. It was interesting to walk around, and it was interesting to imagine how the building might have fit together in Medieval times. I also toured Aberconwy house, the oldest residence in the town, before going back to my room for a little rest. Finally, I went to dinner and headed back inside the castle of an open-air production of The Tempest that was being held there.

On Thursday morning, I took the train to Liverpool. After getting oriented, I walked over to Albert Dock, where I had lunch and visited a 'Beatles Story' museum as well as the Liverpool branch of the Tate gallery. Later, I went back to the town center to go on a 'Magical Mystery' bus tour through some well-known Beatles sights like Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane. The tour ended at the Cavern club (or at least a recreation - the original was destroyed during the '80s and later rebuilt with the same materials), where the Beatles got their start. I stayed there for a while before getting back to the train station and heading back to London.

I finally got a plane back to Los Angeles on Friday. After my flight, I got my luggage, went through customs, and met with my sister. She surprised me with the 'belated birthday present' (planned when she thought I would be arriving on Monday) of a trip to the Hollywood Bowl to see a series of music from and inspired by Spain, with a Bolero punctuated by fireworks as the finale. Despite it being very late in London time (and not having gotten any sleep on the plane), I was able to stay awake and had an enjoyable time. Later, we went out for Chai shakes before getting some much-needed rest in my sister's apartment.

Yesterday was more uneventful, though I was able to move in to my room at home and finally got to see Finding Nemo with my sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment