Monday, May 30, 2011

De Halve Maan Brewery

Yesterday was quite busy. After checking in at my (adorable) bed and breakfast, I went to the Groeninge Museum. The museum houses several works by Flemish "primitives," who worked during the period in which Bruges was an economic powerhouse. It was interesting to see a Van Eyck up close: the characteristic strengths of his works are the degree of detail and crispness of the paintings, and it was interesting to see how the skillfully-deployed, tiny strokes of paint helped to create the illusion of shimmering cloth, jewels, fur, and glass.

Next, I went to the Memling museum, which is located at St. John's house, a former hospice where nuns would care for the sick. The building doubled as a museum for the hospice and an art museum. In the corner of the building, there were several works by Flemish artist Hans Memling, including a large altarpiece and a shrine dedicated to St. Ursula (who allegedly made a pilgrimage to Rome in the company of 11,000 virgins).

Afterwards, I went across the street to the Church of Our Lady, where I saw a small Madonna and Child sculpted by Michelangelo, along with some 10th-14th century crypts which had recently been uncovered.

I grabbed a bite to eat, then headed to the Church of the Holy Blood, which is home to a "relic" with the blood of Christ (brought over during the Crusades). The basilica had a Romanesque lower floor, and a Gothic-style upper floor. Finally, I went through the Gruuthuse museum, which is a "museum of daily life" containing historical artifacts.

Later, I wandered around the small Minnewater area (which contains a tiny park and some horse-drawn carriages) and wandered through the Begijnhof (an abbey which housed a lay order of "nuns" who performed nunly duties without making the same vows).

After retiring to my hotel (my back was hurting and I needed a break), I had a semi-late dinner and headed to my bed and breakfast.

The next morning, I had breakfast with the other B&B guests and did my laundry at the nearby laundromat. I spent some time at the local park, and was antagonized by a swan, while I waited for the laundry to finish.

Then, I dropped my clothing off and headed into town for a tour of Bruges' sole brewery (De Halve Mann), which is over 150 years old. It was entertaining; the guide was very animated, and there were some great views of town from the top of the brewery building.

 And here I am.


No comments:

Post a Comment