Sunday, May 1, 2011

Improving My Mornings

I sometimes have trouble motivating myself in the mornings. I'm not fully awake, I feel overwhelmed, and I have a tendency to daydream or otherwise lose track of the time.

So, I've been experimenting with this Performance Timer app. It is designed to time speeches and presentations, but I have adapted it so I can use it for my morning routine. I basically program a routine into the app, setting aside a specific amount of time for each task.

While the program is running, I have a time limit to do each of the tasks on my list; the time for each portion is up when the red timer in the center makes a full circle. If I finish a task early, I can use the additional time to complete a different task.

The timer is helpful because it breaks up the morning tasks, and also keeps me from getting in a rut or feeling paralyzed; I know exactly how much time I need to complete a task, and I am acutely aware when time is running out.

The program also allows you to log past 'performances,' although I haven't found that feature to be very useful yet.

I currently have two different schedules; one for weekdays, and another for weekends. It has been fairly helpful so far, so I hope to keep it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment