Tuesday, May 24, 2011

LAX - Gate 2, Samsung Charging Station

Well, I am here and getting ready to fly to Brussels (by way of London) and am looking forward to the trip. This is my itinerary:
  • May 24 at 4:30 p.m.: Fly from Los Angeles to London
    • At 12:40 p.m. London time on May 25: Fly to Brussels
  • May 25 at 2:45 p.m.: Arrive in Brussels
    • May 25-28 (4 days) in Brussels
  • May 29 at 8:05 a.m.: Train to Bruges
    • May 29-30 (2 days) in Bruges
  • May 31 at 7:35 a.m.: Train to Amsterdam (transfer in Brussels)
  • May 31-June 3 (4 days) in Amsterdam
    • June 1 at 9:45: Anne Frank House
  • June 4 at 10:20 a.m.: Flight to Copenhagen
    • June 4-6 (3 days) in Copenhagen
  • June 7 at 12:00: Fly from Copenhagen to London
    • At 4:15: Fly from London to LAX
There was a bit of a scare over an Icelandic volcano, and the potential for airborne ash to disrupt flights, but it does not look like it will affect me. Which is fortunate; it would be such a huge disappointment if such a long-awaited trip fell through.

In disappointing news, I broke my Kindle at the airport, so I won't be able to use it on my trip. This is particularly disappointing because I had all of my travel books loaded on to the Kindle. Fortunately, I was able to load all of the travel books on to my iPhone, which is a halfway-decent alternative.

Here are my travel priorities:
  •  Brussels
    • Grand Place: The main square in Brussles
      • In particular, I will have to partake in the chocolates sold there
    • Royal museums: Ancient and modern art
    • Magritte Museum
    • BEL Vue Museum: Museum dedicated to Belgium's history
    • Comic Strip Center
    • European Parliament
    • Atomium and Mini-Europe
  • Possible day trips from Brussels
    • Antwerp: Cathedral, Rubens paintings, Rockoxhuis museum
    • Ghent: St. Baxo's Cathedral (Adoration of the Mystic Lamb altarpiece), guildhouses
  • Bruges
    • Bell tower
    • Burg Square
    • Groeninge Museum
    • Memling Museum
    • Begijnhof
    • De Halve Mann Brewery Tour
[3 hours into the LA-London flight...]
  •  Amsterdam
    • Rijksmuseum: The principal art museum in the Netherlands
    • Van Gogh Museum: I bought my ticket to the museum before leaving
    • Anne Frank Museum: I already have my ticket
    • Royal Palace
    • Canal Tours
    • Amsterdam History Museum
    • Rembrandt's House
    • Hermitage on the Amstel: A satellite of the Russian museum
    • Dutch Resistance Museum
  • Possible day trips from Amsterdam
    • Haarlem: Frans Hals Museum (closed Mondays), Grote Kerk, i.e. Great Church (closed Sunday)
    • Delft: Porcelain
    • The Hague: Parliament, Royal Picture Gallery (Girl with a Pearl Earring)
    • Arnhelm and the Kröller-Müller Museum (probably impractical)
  • Copenhagen
    • Tivoli Gardens: An old-fashioned amusement park
    • National Museum (closed Mondays)
    • Christiansborg Palace
    • Rosenborg Castle: Home to the Danish Crown Jewels
    • Christianshavn: Home to the bohemian commune of Christiania
    • Canal Tours
    • Kronborg Castle (a 50 minute train ride from Copenhagen)
    • Little Mermaid Statue in Kastellet Park
And here are my hotels:
  • Brussels: Hotel Opera (Near the Grand Place)
  • Bruges: Debruyne (A modern-style B&B run by architects)
  • Amsterdam: Blue Sheep Bed and Breakfast (Near the Dam)
  • Copenhagen: Delacour Bed and Breakfast (In Nyhavn, near the Amalienborg Palace and cruise ship terminals)
[on the London-Brussels flight, about to land...]

Anyhow, I am excited about this trip. I am trying not to create too many expectations as to what I must see, as that could only  lead to stress and disappointment. Regardless, I know I'll have some great experiences!

No comments:

Post a Comment