Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Train from Antwerp to Amsterdam

I am on the 9:00 train to Amsterdam (I took the 7:18 train from Bruges to Antwerp).

My final day in Bruges was enjoyable. After finishing the brewery tour and grabbing a quick bite, I went through the small Begijnhoff museum (note: while the courtyard and premises were, in medieval times, inhabited by beguines, or lay "nuns," the need for such an order eventually dwindled, and it is now inhabited by nuns). I then took a boat tour of the city, which was peaceful (it helped that our boat was not full) and allowed passengers to have striking views of the town's landmarks.

I  headed to the market square, tried a couple of chocolates, and climbed the bell tower in the center. It was a somewhat tricky climb (mostly because tourists were climbing up and down the same narrow set of staircases), but the views at the top were great. Finally, I looked through the Bruges city hall before returning to recharge my batteries (both figuratively and literally, as I needed to recharge my camera batteries) and chat with my sister.

After some downtime, I went out to dinner. Although the weather had been idyllic for the past couple of days, it had started to drizzle as I went out. My last meal in Belgium was nice; I finally ordered mussels (which are something of a national specialty) and had a good framboise (raspberry) beer (which tasted like it was infused with real raspberries, rather than a syrup).

Anyhow, I look forward to seeing Amsterdam! It has been raining during my train trip, but I'm hoping it will be clear when I arrive at 11:00. In fact, it looks like things have cleared up a little already.

No comments:

Post a Comment