Tuesday, June 18, 2002

Father's Day Weekend

A decent amount has happened lately. I guess I'll start at the very beginning, which we all know is a very good place to start.

On Friday, I accompanied my mom and sister to Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. Not exactly the movie I would choose on my own (I really don't care for 'chick flicks'), but at least it got me out of the house.

At about noon on Saturday, Fred drove by to pick me up. We went to the Getty museum, had dinner on the Third Street Promenade, and went to the play Proof. The decision to see the performance was sort of a last-minute thing; we had wanted to see an orchestral performance or play, but hadn't made the final decision until we were on the freeway about 30 minutes before the production itself. We ended up getting there a minute or two late, and could not take our seats until the end of the first scene (we had to watch it on a television screen). That aside, it was an enjoyable play.

Fred also came by on Sunday, where he joined my parents, sister, aunt, uncle, grandparents, and twin cousins for a Father's Day lunch at Chuck E. Cheese (there's really not many other places you can expect to go with two-year-olds). Though the situation could have been awkward, it went over well, and everyone seemed to like Fred. We eventually took our leave and went to Disney's California Adventure theme park. We strolled through the park and went on a few attractions before going back to my house. We had a good time, and I'm glad that we were able to see each other again.

Today was much less eventful, as I basically reverted to couch potato mode. I did find out that I probably won't be getting student housing next year, which really upsets me. I haven't had to study at home for four years, and I have no idea how I'll handle the transition. I don't like living at home, partially because I like having more personal space, and partially because I am a privacy fiend, but mostly because I lose a lot of control when I am at home. I really don't like being at home; it almost seems like I lose five years of maturity (not like I'm all that mature to begin with) when I'm constantly surrounded by my family. I know my family means well, and I really have no right to whine as I am still mooching off them, but it is a frustrating situation for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment