Thursday, December 13, 2001

Shame on Me

I was both productive and unproductive today. Since I knew I wouldn't have enough time to do my (self-scheduled) Real Analysis exam later, I studied and took it this afternoon. I felt more confident about it than I thought I would, and, though we were given a maximum of three hours in which to take the test, I was able to finish it in half the time. I hope that my finishing early doesn't simply reflect carelessness. I felt able to answer the questions, despite my impression that one of the questions came 'out of left field' and confused me at first.

After a bit (perhaps a bit too much) of celebratory slacking, I went to the final film class movie night; the featured film was Spike Lee's Bamboozled. It was, well, pretty disturbing.

I had hoped to finish my Chaos write-up tonight, but I suddenly got very into computer games and was unable to force myself to work for a long time. I have now finished about half of the paper, and I'm a little ashamed that I had such trouble starting something that's pretty straightforward. It seems like my primary motivation for doing many things is simply to avoid facing unpleasant but simple tasks; while I know I would have a more rewarding life if less of it was consumed by avoidance tactics, I can never quite bite the bullet when it comes to getting work done.

No comments:

Post a Comment