Sunday, October 14, 2001

Stupid Testing Centers

Today was the day I was supposed to take the GRE. This afternoon I got ready, did a bit of last-minute prep, and got on the train. I found the testing center easily and with plenty of time to spare. But, when I entered the building and signed in, one of the security people told me that he saw the last people leave a while ago. We went to the office to double-check, and the room was completely empty. That such a misunderstanding could have occurred is truly bizarre; I took down the information on the test as soon as I heard it (I registered by calling). I'll try to call tomorrow and work things out. Hopefully I won't have to wait a month to take the test or pay for the test I didn't take.

Not wanting to have gone to downtown Philly for nothing, I walked across town to the art museum, where they were having a Thomas Eakins exhibit. I enjoyed going, though I wasn't able to stay for very long, and only really looked at the Eakins and 20th century stuff (I've been to the museum before, though, so it wasn't a huge deal). After that, I went to a restaurant for dinner and took the train home.

As part of my campaign to get people to comment in my journal, here's a question that popped into my head while I was in the art museum:

If you had to choose between being a major innovator in your field of choice and receiving the credit for a major innovation in that field, what would you choose?

I'm leaning towards the former option myself... I think I would prefer being a creative but unrecognized person to being widely recognized but having little originality. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment