Saturday, November 10, 2001

Getting Personal

Today I slept in a bit, but I was nonetheless able to get some reading done. Tonight, if all goes well, I will do a paper for class. Tomorrow will be jam-packed with excitement, as I work on more reading, a take-home math exam, thesis stuff, and application stuff (including the two-page 'personal statement').

I am sometimes uneasy about these personal statements for college. Something about laying down something that states 'this is who I am and here's what makes me tick' makes me uncomfortable; I have trouble reducing myself to a short explanation of my personality. I think it's hard to approach yourself objectively anyways, since a person is almost always too self-interested to divorce their romanticized conception of themselves with the person they are.

A related issue is that of presenting oneself in the context of a college or graduate school 'personal statement'; the image of the ideal student inevitably looms over such compositions. After all, it is not in an applicant's interests to present themselves as they are... they are trying to paint the 'right' image of themselves (though perhaps adding enough of their own quirks to stand out). Ironically enough, these statements can't ever truly be personal.

Anyway, I hope I'll be able to get this work done without too much trouble. I have so much to do this week that it's crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment