Friday, November 2, 2001

My Random Babbling

I'm feeling a bit more awake now. After a convoluted Foucault discussion, I went to the math lab. I basically spent the time typing a bunch of numbers into spreadsheets for a bifurcation graph. It wasn't challenging, but it was dull. I then ran over to rehearsal; it was fun but ended after midnight, even later than usual.

Something I've been thinking about lately is how my relationships with other people have changed over the years. Though I'm nowhere near extroverted, I feel more comfotable dealing with people; I'm not so much out of my element as I used to be. However, there isn't really a clique of college friends I hang out with. It was a little different during my first year, since the college puts all frosh into hall groups and they tend to become pretty close. But I think the college mentality is different from high school, and it's not so necessary that you find a group of people to hang out with during lunch breaks and the like. It can make things more difficult occasionally, since there isn't an 'automatic support group' who you can be around at parties or have lunch with.

I don't mind the situation, though. I feel much more comfortable around friends than I used to. I always felt somewhat peripheral among my circle of friends in high school; I hung out with them during lunch and breaks, but I didn't really spend much time with them outside of school and extracurricular activities. In large part that's because I lived far from the school and it was impractical, but my shyness also played a factor. I don't think many of the people there got the chance to know me. My shyness is still there, but I generally feel more able to cope with it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment